Thursday, January 04, 2007

Children of Men

Saw this tonight with Irwin. It ain't no Garden of Eden. But it was a kind of re-creation myth for our times. A post-apocalyptic survival movie which portrayed a world that is frighteningly similar to the one we live in now, except the veil has been lifted, and there are no boundaries to the violence, xenophobia, desperation. A world in which ALL FOREIGNERS have become illegal aliens and are routinely capture, imprisoned in refugee camps, tortured and so on. There is a resistance movement that is corrupt or at least divided. And a portrayal of the refugee camp as a miniature/underground city, it fit the description of the prisons in ---- god i can't remember, there was an article i read about a prison in a country in the middle east or south america (???) where it was practically a full-blown city with an economy and ecology of its own... where was it? anyway

The things I liked about it: the brutality and seeming incidental nature of violence and death. A focus on the world, a system, rather than the story of the individual. That the film does follow a journey, but the portion of that journey as presented in the film is incomplete -- that is, the journey has already been in motion and will continue to be in motion before and after the film.

The ending: I could tell there must have been multiple versions of the ending. Part of me wanted to see the ending with no redemption. Just a pan out as Clive Owen is dying in the row boat, and the woman and baby, left alone in the choppy waters disappearing into the fog... I'm sure people would have had a fit if they ended like that.

grade: A-
irwin's grade: 94 (out of 100, which would i guess make it an A)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I auditioned for the role of the girl with the baby- weird huh? I always go in for the roles where ethnicity may "add a dimension if we chose to 'go that way'" stopped reading your review as i want to see it but LOVE that you have a blog. I miss you.

ayagwa said...

Dude Maha, That is fucking bizarre, hysterical and weird that you read for that role! Although if you had gotten it, it would have:
1. wigged me out to see you ion screen, and so super pregnant
2. been distracting to have someone so pretty in that role

Is that a rude thing to say? I just remember your comment about Kiera Knightly in the soccer movie, something like she was so good-looking it was distracting?

Anonymous said...

Hi!
i never thought youwould respond to my comment.
Yes I did say that about keira- but it was more the WAY she was filmed. there were these odd shots of her body in the locker room that seemed out of place I am now thoroughly convinced all "chick flicks" have out of place sexy pans to appease the males who have been dragged there by their dates. See in her shoes for many a leg pan of cameron diaz- even a few crotch shots if i remember correctly.